FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 28, 2005
Big Sur, CA ~
30 FAVORITE THINGS TO DO AT VENTANA
As part of its year-long 30th anniversary celebration, Ventana Inn & Spa is asking past guests to recall their most romantic moment at the resort. And for those who have yet to experience Ventana, how they might make their first-ever visit memorable.
Following is a list of 30 favorite things that the winner might do while staying at the inn. A random drawing will take place on October 5, 2005 and the winner will receive a three-day trip to Ventana to celebrate New Year’s Eve (December 30, 2005 - January 2, 2006). The trip will include airfare, rental car, three nights in a newly renovated luxurious suite, continental breakfast each morning, a picnic lunch for two, a 90-minute in-room couples massage, two 50-minute spa treatments, two dinners for two at the Inn’s restaurant, Cielo, and daily participation in an afternoon wine reception and a morning “Ventana Discovery” walk.
Contestants may send entries, limited to 500 words, to “30th Anniversary Contest” Ventana Inn & Spa, Highway One, Big Sur, CA 93920 or submit electronically via the Inn’s web site www.ventanainn.com. Complete details and rules of the contest are posted on the web site.
30 Favorite things to do at Ventana and in Big Sur
- A midnight visit to the open-air Japanese Baths
Warm water, cool air, a million stars, no clothes.
- A woodsy stroll to Cielo on the nature trail
A gentle walk before dinner, a starlit stroll home, a great meal in between.
- A visit to the Hawthorne Gallery on Highway One
Sculptors Gregory Hawthorne and Steve Kuntz created “Water Totems” the unique wood-and-water sculptures on Ventana’s grounds. Their amazing gallery is just south of Ventana on Highway One.
- Collecting driftwood at Andrew Molera State Park
Bobcat Trail, an easy 3-mile hike that passes the Cooper Cabin, Big
Sur's oldest structure, and ends at the beach. Look for over-wintering Monarch butterflies in the branches of ancient eucalyptus.
- A visit to Coast Gallery
Once a small outlet for Big Sur artists this landmark now features thousands of works from American artists and craftsmen - all housed in historic redwood water tanks.
- A visit to the Henry Miller Library
Dedicated to the controversial but internationally acclaimed American artist and writer Henry Miller. As quirky and eccentric as the man himself.
- Pfeiffer Beach
A little hard to find but worth the effort, one of the most extraordinarily beautiful beaches in California. Watch for whales, sea otters and sea lions.
- Skinny-dipping at dusk in the clothing optional pool
Take the plunge, there’s no feeling more natural than swimming au naturel, especially at dusk.
- Cocktails at sunset on Cielo’s terrace
Watch the sun sink into the Pacific as the light show plays on miles of dramatic coastline.
- An evening of romance, just for two
Champagne and appetizers delivered to your suite.
- A massage on your private deck
Single or tandem, on your deck or in your room, Ventana’s massage therapists are famous for turning people into butter.
- Hiking at Garrapata State Park
A hiker's dream, offering 2,879 acres of Big Sur beauty including trails, beaches
and forests. Soberanes Point is a favorite for its panoramic views.
- A guided photo safari on the Big Sur coast
Find your inner Ansel Adams guided by a professional photographer who brings the latest digital equipment and produces a large format print the next day for you to take home
- Mushroom hunting with a knowledgeable guide
A seasonal favorite among Ventana’s enrichment offerings.
- A scenic drive through springtime wildflowers
The back roads of Big Sur in springtime give new meaning to the word spectacular.
- Reading a book on the hammock of your private deck
A good book, a great hammock, a soft breeze and the scent of pine. Priceless.
- A picnic in the redwoods? The beach? Have Cielo prepare a wonderful lunch and enjoy one of life’s enduring pleasures.
- A treatment at The Spa at Ventana
Who doesn’t deserve a little pampering - especially after all this exercise.
- A tour of the historic Big Sur Lighthouse
The only complete turn-of-the-century lightstation open to the public in California. Tour year round, moonlight tours spring and summer.
- A nightcap in front of the fire at Cielo
Indoors or out, massive fireplaces make the coolest night cozy.
- Browsing the famous Store at Ventana
One of Big Sur’s original sources for local art, sculpture, jewelry
music and clothing.
- Visiting the artisan and crafts galleries in Big Sur village
Big Sur, long an inspiration for artists and crafts people. Find your
local treasure in this tiny village.
- Spotting wild turkeys and deer from your room
Surrounded by nature, Ventana’s guests share the landscape with many of
its original inhabitants.
- Bird watching along the Big Sur River
A birder’s paradise, abundant and varied sightings include Condors,
peregrine falcons, red-shouldered hawks, egrets and many other sea and
- Meditating under the redwoods
- Sampling the 3-course, prix-fixe, 30th anniversary lunch at Cielo.
Executive Chef celebrates Ventana’s 30th anniversary in flavors.
- Skipping stones on the Big Sur River
Ahh, the simple pleasures.
- Exploring the Canyon Trail
With Ventana’s 248 acres, a nice walk after lunch leads naturally enough to pleasure.
- Napping in the afternoon.
On luxurious bedding, on the hammock on your deck, don’t worry, take nappy.
- A romantic bubble bath in your room.
Oversize tubs with natural light and views. Candlelight, moonlight? The choice is yours.