An Eco-Friendly California Hotel
Ventana takes sustainability seriously. From property-wide recycling programs to low-H2O faucets to the use of native landscaping elements, Ventana goes the extra mile to stand as an eco-friendly California hotel.
- Ventana maintains an extensive property-wide recycling program for paper, newspaper, cardboard, cans, glass, aluminum, plastic, fluorescent bulbs, dry cell batteries, small amounts of copper and brass, waste oil, paints, solvents, ink cartridges and unneeded office equipment.
- Styrofoam is not used anywhere on the property.
- The resort is a member of the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program, adhering to its guidelines on buying and serving seafood from sustainable sources.
- Ventana’s onsite organic gardens provide herbs and vegetables for use in the restaurant.
- Whenever possible, the Restaurant at Ventana serves local, sustainably sourced organic vegetables, fruit, seafood and meat.
- Ventana uses fair-trade organic coffees and teas.
- Marketing and in-room materials are printed on recycled paper and an effort is used to use soy-based inks whenever possible.
- Ventana provides housing on property for more than 40 employees to help reduce traffic and energy emissions.
- Packing materials are reused for shipping.
- The Gallery at Ventana features organic or natural fiber clothing for sale.
- The property is designated as a non-smoking facility.
- Waste water is recycled in geo-flow subterranean drip system.
- Public area bathroom faucets are low H2O consumption.
- Guest room toilets are 1.6 gallon per flush (low H2O consumption).
- The Restaurant at Ventana features waterless urinals.
- Many internal light fixtures are T8 and PL fluorescents.
- Many external light fixtures are low voltage/wattage fixtures.
- LED exit signs provide improved energy efficiency.
- Guest room towels have a daily voluntary reuse option.
- The resort’s laundry system provides reusable bags for dirty and clean linens.
- Old terrycloth and linens are recycled for use as rags.
- All HVAC/refrigeration fluids are reclaimed, reused and recycled.
- Cooking grease is reclaimed and recycled.
- Grease trap grease is reclaimed and recycled quarterly.
- All non-essential equipment is turned off whenever not in use.
- Much of the resort's landscaping is drought tolerant and/or native species.
- Irrigation is turned off during periods of rain or cold.
- Plant waste is chipped, mulched and returned to the earth.
To learn more about Ventana, a green hotel in Big Sur, please call 831.667.2331.